Title: Assistant Professor of Dermatology and Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, BUSM
Dermatopathology Fellowship: Dermatopathology Section, Department of Dermatology, BUSM
Board Certifications: Dermatology, Dermatopathology (eligible)
Background: Hye Jin "Leah" Chung graduated with her MD from Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea in 2001, where she completed her residency and fellowship training in Dermatology. She finished her post-doctoral fellowship and residency in dermatology at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, in 2014. Dr. Chung joined the faculty of Dermatology, Boston University School of Medicine, upon completion of her dermatopathology fellowship at Boston Medical Center in 2016. She has dual roles within the Department of Dermatology, evaluating patients in the Faculty Practice of Boston Medical Center and signing out skin biopsies at the Skin Pathology Laboratory at Boston University School of Medicine.
Special interests: General dermatopathology, scars, Asian skin disease
Research Interests: "I am interested in treating scars and Asian skin diseases and histologic evaluation of the pigmented lesions, nail disorders, and lymphoma."
1. Ross N, Chung HJ, Li Q, Keller MS, Uitto J. Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris: A cohort study of 100 patients Epidemiologic, clinicopathologic, diagnostic and management challenges from patient and provider perspectives. JAMA Dermatol. 2016 2016;152:670-5.
2. Chung HJ, Wolpowitz D, Scott G, Gilmore E, Bhawan J. Squamous cell carcinoma with osteoclastlike giant cells: a morphologically heterologous group including carcinosarcoma and squamous cell carcinoma with stromal changes. J Cutan Pathol 2016;43:148-57.
3. Chung HJ, Yang S, Succaria F, Bhawan J. TERT promoter mutations are infrequent in Merkel cell carcinomas. J Am Acad Dermatol 2015;73:864-5.
4. Chung HJ, Simkin AD, Bhawan J, Wolpowitz D. “Melanocytic Nests Arising in Lichenoid Inflammation:” Re-appraisal of the Terminology “Melanocytic Pseudonests”. Am J Dermatopathol 2015;37:940-3.
5. Chung HJ, McGuigan KL, Osley KL, Zendell K, Lee JB. Pigmented solar (actinic) keratosis: an under recognized collision lesion. J Am Acad Dermatol 2013;68:647-53.
6. Jung J, Cho S, Chung H, Shin JU, Lee K, Chung K. Treatment of periorbital wrinkles with 1550- and 1565-nm Er:glass fractional photothermolysis lasers: a simultaneous split-face trial. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2011;25:811-8.
7. Chung HJ, Jensen DA, Gawron K, Steplewski A, Fertala A. R992C (p.R1192C) substitution in collagen II alters the structure of mutant molecules and induces the unfolded protein response. J Mol Biol 2009;390:306-18.
8. Roh MR, Chung HJ, Chung KY. Effects of various parameters of the 1064 nm Nd:YAG laser for the treatment of enlarged facial pores. J Dermatol Treatment 2009;20:1-6.
9. Chung HJ, Steplewski A, Chung KY, Uitto J, Fertala A. Collagen fibril formation; a new target to limit fibrosis. J Biol Chem 2008;283:25879-86.
10. Chung HJ, Chung KY. Nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy: response to high-dose intravenous immunoglobulin. Br J Dermatol 2004;150:596-7.
2013: Second Place in Duel Dermatopathology Resident Competition, American Society of Dermatopathology Meeting, Washington, DC
2010: Johnson-Beerman Award, The College of Physicians Meeting, Philadelphia, PA
2008: Travel Award, American Society for Matrix Biology Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA
2006: First Place on the 49th Korean Dermatology Board Examination, Seoul, Korea
2001: The Highest Scholarly Achievement, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Additional Information: Link to CV in detail